Nykaa Unicorn Potion Nail Enamels: All 5 colors, Review and Swatches
A few days back Nykaa launched their ‘Nykaa Unicorn Potion Nail Enamels’ and the internet got flooded with reviews. Some YouTubers were raving about the polishes while some other ladies were not so happy with the product. But irrespective of all the reviews I wanted to get all the shades and this was mainly because of the packaging. I ordered all the 5 shades but in the set of 2 and 3 (sets are available on Nykaa), which saved me few bucks. Let’s see how the polishes performed for me!
Price: Rs 199 for 9 ml of product (BUY HERE)
These are not the cheapest ones available in the market, but a good packaging and good formula are definitely worth some extra bucks.
Paint your pinkies with a bottle full of dreams! Nykaa Unicorn Potion Nail Enamel is all you need to make believe that there is magic on your fingertips. Formulated with iridescent pearls that give your mesmerizing color swirls, this one-of-kind formula is nothing like you’ve seen before!Our out-of-this-world range has five fascinating shades, from mystical purple to rainbow yellow, this range is sure to take your breath away!
What you get:
- 5 Mystical Shades: Mega-iridescent holographic finish that reflects light to give your nails a mesmerizing dual-toned look.
- Stunning Holographic Finish: The holographic finish is as gives your nails a dreamy, soft rainbow-like sheen.
- Iridescent Pearl Pigments and Long-lasting Effect: The magic of this exquisite formula lasts for days and days without chipping or fading.
- Five-free And Cruelty-Free Formula: This collection is free of five most harmful chemicals. We do not test our products on animals, just on our in-house nature lovers!
- First Time In India: Nykaa is bringing the International trend of Holographic Nail Enamel to India at a lucrative price.
- What is it formulated Without: The Nykaa Unicorn Potion Nail Enamel Collection is Five Free and is Not tested on animals (just on our team!). Also, it contains no animal-derived ingredients.
- Sugar n Spice
- Sunshine & Rainbows
- Mystical Mermaid
- Pink Pony
- Frosted Fairy
To be honest, packaging was the first thing that made me buy these Nail Enamels. Yes, I am a fan of such colors too, but the long pointed rose gold cap sold me the product. Everything except the cap of the polish is similar to the other polishes from the brand. The bottles kept all together on the vanity looks beautiful. The cap detail might be inspired by Christian Louboutin polishes, but who cares, these look as beautiful at a much lower price point.
These might not be the best ones to travel with, the cap is sturdy, but the pointed cap is not what I prefer to travel with.
My Experience with Nykaa Unicorn Potion Nail Enamels:
Color: As I have mentioned above, these Unicorn Nail Enamels are available in 5 different color options. All the 5 colors are claimed or marketed as Holographic, which is not true. All the 5 shades have a pearly and iridescent finish, but all of them are beautiful. Though these colors might not be everyone’s cup of tea, these are perfect to flaunt in spring/summer.
The shade Sugar n Spice is the orange from the collection and the shade Sunshine & Rainbows is more of a yellow. Both these colors look different in the packaging, but they look almost identical on the nails, especially after a single coat. Though, if the number of coats is increased to 2-3, a tone of orange or yellow can be differentiated.
All the other 3 shades are different and they look different on the nails too. The shade Mystical Mermaid is a beautiful blue with iridescent pink. This was the first shade from the collection which attracted me and I absolutely loved it.
Pink Pony id the pink polish of the collection. It is not very different or unique, but it is beautiful too and is the easiest to wear color. Frosted Fairy, the lavender of the collection also has pink iridescent shine and it is my second most favorite shade from the collection.
Pigmentation: This is a weak point of these polishes. As these polishes have an iridescent finish, they are not very pigmented. The colors do not show up in the first coat until a base color is applied. They start to show up after second coat which improves and looks its best only after the third coat.
Texture: The polishes are super easy to apply. They have a great formula and consistency which makes them glide easily over the nails. None of the colors are streaky.
Staying Power: Honestly I didn’t expect the colors to stay on for long, but to my surprise, the colors stay easily up to 3 days without chipping or fading that too without a top coat. But if more than 4 coats of the polish are applied, the colors might chip.
Drying Time: This depends on the number of coats applied. If, like a normal polish, 1-2 coats are applied the polish dries within seconds. After which the drying time increases with the number of coats.
Overall, I did like the polishes and the formula. Yes, I agree with the fact that not all the colors will good on everyone, but there is at least one color in the collection for everyone. Even if, you don’t like the colors on their own, they can be used over a base color as a top coat to give that iridescent shine to your favorite polish.
For me, yes it was worth buying and I would recommend trying at least one shade from the collection.
Pros of Nykaa Unicorn Potion Nail Enamels:
- Beautiful Packaging as well as color selection
- Decent brush size which makes the polish easy to apply
- Perfect consistency (neither too thick nor too flowy)
- Stays for at least 3 days without chipping or fading
- Looks beautiful with or without a base coat
- Dries fast
- Easily available online
Cons of Nykaa Unicorn Potion Nail Enamels:
- These nail polishes are certainly not holographic (as claimed by the brand)
- All the colors might not be best suited for all the skin tones
- Does not show up much color until 3-4 coats are added
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post, I bought all the polishes with my own money.